Thursday, November 13, 2003

BINGO!

News from the "craziest thing you've ever heard" desk...

This past weekend, one of my greatest friends in the whole wide world left a message for me to call him back as soon as possible. As soon as I called him, he said, "Guess what?" I said, "You won the lottery." He replied, "No. But close. My parents did." One of my favorite families on the planet hit the jackpot as sole winners of the Florida lottery and a cool $15 million. My friend's Dad -- who happens to be a terrific guy and one of the funniest people I know -- played the same twenty sets of numbers he's been playing every week for God knows how long. Sunday morning, he plugged the numbers into his custom-made lotto spreadsheet and Bam! -- one ticket had six matches. He called his wife into the room -- who is also a wonderful woman and a riot in her own right -- and told her they just won the lottery. She dryly fired back, "Yeah right, you win the lottery every week." He assured her this was no joke and they called up their son and daughter -- who are honestly two of my closest friends -- to tell them the big news. Did I happen to mention that these are four of my all-time favorite people?

Congratulations! It couldn't happen to a nicer family.

No comments: