Friday, July 12, 2002


The Piker's Piker here, reporting from the field. Things move rather slowly down here in South Florida. I think it's the humidity. Here we are in the dog days of summer and it's hot everywhere, but the humidity is what makes it difficult to breathe, especially while exercising outdoors. This past weekend, in a fit of selflessness, I woke up at seven in the morning, on Sunday mind you, to drive my brother to work. My plan was to return home and go right back to sleep, but on the way home I realized it was too late, the damage had been done. I was up for the day. So I decided I'd take advantage of greeting the day about four hours before I normally do and go on a run. My temporary headquarters is about two miles from I595. Wearing my fancy brand spanking new running shoes, I set out to reach the highway. I was feeling light and springy with my now-cushioned soles and I set a torrid pace. The road was quiet, the sun was boiling, and sweat was dripping off my body as if I had just stepped out of the shower, but I managed to reached the stoplight at the entrance to the 595 and headed back. I usually don't run along a straight path, but I was on this day, and it made things very clear cut. I tried to pace myself so I could reach what I thought was the traffic light before headquarters. But, I miscalculated and started my sprint too early. I wound up at a different ligth, seven-tenths short of my goal. However, it was for the best, as I was dangerously close to enterting a state heat exhaustion. After fighting it for a few moments, I leaned over and gagged, resigned to tossing my cookies. But there were no cookies to toss. I hadn't eaten anything since I woke up, so there was nothing in my system to regurgitate. I walked on and tried to regain my composure, gagging a few times on the way, but I never threw up. Seven-tenths of a mile later, I was back at headquarters, exhausted, thirsty, and very very wet. I replenished my fluids by drinking some delicious and nutritious Orange Ice Gatorade, ate a little something, and made sure not to sit on anything. Eventually, I stopped sweating and took a shower. But, as soon as I stepped out of the shower, I starting sweating again. I think it was the humidity.

No comments: